Friday, February 17, 2006

Flea Market Finds

It all begins at the PCC flea market, we were digging through some paper and found a small pile of old drawings. They were very Nutty Mad & Underground comix inspired. Looking more carefully I notice a couple are signed "Jim Woodring 1967". I end up buying them and a few other things the person has.

When I got home, I fired up the computer, did a little research and sent off an email to famed comic artist Jim Woodring telling him about the drawings I found. Within a few hours Jim and I are communicating via email and he confirmed that the drawings were done by him in junior high school. He figures he had given them away at that time and now amazingly they have resurfaced. Generously he offers to trade me a brand new page of his artwork for these unusual curios from his past. I happily agree and the trade is done.

The piece I got from him is quite amazing. It is page 11 of his new book "The Lute String" and features Frank, Pupshaw and Pushpaw. Quite a nice deal.

7 comments:

Miguel Porto said...

Such a lucky guy!!!

BTW I also have a blog, in spanish, sorry :-P

Anonymous said...

being the only other person besides dan and jim to see the junior high drawings, i'd say mr. dan you did great - that woodring page is a beaut!!!!!

leifpeng said...

That "clunk" you heard was my jaw dropping all the way up here in Canada. Great story - great find!

Anonymous said...

Dan has a 6th sense when it comes to looking ... finding is just a result of his amazing ability!

Chris Merritt said...

I am in shock an awe! Jim Woodring is one of the most talented comic & fine artists out there today!

Really really great find & trade, Dan - I'm jealous!

Dan Goodsell said...

If you spend enough Sunday mornings getting up at 5AM and heading out to the flea market, you will be rewarded

Anonymous said...

Yoo luxxxy bastid!

I fluff Jim Woodring's "Peeker."