Monday, June 19, 2006

The Green Grocer

Today's images all come from a 1948 manual for Merchandising Fresh Fruits & Vegetables put out by A&P markets. This 100 page manual deals with running a produce department and talks about display and care of fruits and vegetables. But the thing that interested me were all the beautiful full color paintings of the produce. This manual is packed with page after page of mostly color images making this one of my favorite references. Oh if only I could paint like this...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the floating mushroom goodness!! Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

Matterhorn1959 said...

I like the composition of the paintings, they way the artist laid out the shapes is nice.

Anonymous said...

beautiful! They'd make a great desktop wallpaper too.

Tom Dougherty said...

Those are beautiful. I used to collect vintage seed packets for the fantastic paintings on the fronts. I wish I still had them.