Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Kids Excited About Comics

Kids Excited About Comics

This weekend I did an appearance at Comics Unlimited in Westminster. We had a lot of kids come through but this one little girl came up and handed me her copy of "Welcome to the World of Mr Toast". It was a freebie comic that she had gotten a few weeks ago on Free Comics Day. The comic was thrashed, it had stains on the cover, just beat. Her mom said that she takes it to bed each night. There is a lot of talk about how kids don't read comics any more. I think the truth of the matter is that kids don't have enough access to comics and so they don't know they are out there. When I was a kid, there were comics everywhere. Every 7-11 and liquor store had a spinner rack. Almost anyplace there were magazines, there were comics. Put the comics in kids hands and they will read them. And I am not talking about the hyper-sexualized/hyper-violent junk that Marvel and DC seem to thrive on but cool all ages stuff like Owly, Mouse Guard and Tiny Titans.

2 comments:

Parental Control Software said...

Comics have been my everyday thing. And now my son is doing the things that I used to do. Its quite nice actually.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for creating comics for fans of all ages!