Saturday, June 20, 2009

Adventure Thru Inner Space

Adventure Thru Inner Space patch

Adventure Thru Inner Space was always my favorite ride at Disneyland. It was so moody and unusual that it took you out of reality into a great constructed environment. Unlike the other rides that tried to replicate other time periods or locations, Inner Space took you to the microscopic world. Since that world is not observable visually, it has to represented in a new abstract language. And the Paul Frees soundtrack and crazy music just added to that wonderful experience.

Since it was such a strange attraction, Disneyland did not make many souvenirs other than a little booklet and a record. I have the giant attraction poster but have never gotten it framed. So in the end most of what is left of the ride is our memories and remembrances.

Monsanto RecordAdventure Through Inner SpaceAtommobile Sticker

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must've french-kissed a dozen different girls over the years in the comfy confines of that wonderful ride. Even though we were shrinking, certain parts of us were getting bigger as well...

Stu said...

I loved that ride when I was a kid! Also, back then when all rides required a ticket, it was the only "free" ride. "...I must return, unless I go on shrinking!!"

Matterhorn1959 said...

Nice tribute to a classic ride. Now all you need is an Atomibile or at least a nice model of one.

Major Pepperidge said...

Yep, one of my all time "missed attractions". That sticker from an atomobile is pretty darn sweet, I remember having an opportunity to buy one and I passed. So dumb!

Chris Merritt said...

I covet my original Atommobile like few other items in my collection! I had the chance to purchase two of them - but only had the $$$ enough for one back in the 90s...

pomly said...

I want to ride that ride! Never had the pleasure. Is this the same Monsanto that is now EVIL? Something tells me that it is.

Katella Gate said...

I never made any moves on my GF while riding ATOS ... I was too busy trying to spot the valance electrons.

ghost said...

i also loved that ride.. (and while waiting you could watch the tiny little fake people in their cars..) wondering if the soundtrack is available? i miss the 'edge' disney rides had back in the day.. the mansion was more shrill and shrieky.. the alice ride had that firecracker at the end that scared kids to pieces.. it's all been tamed down..
ghost