Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Ray Patin Model Sheets

Dug through the archives and pulled out this little group of mimeographed model sheets from Ray Patin commercials. Fun stuff


gn said...

Absolutely priceless. It's time for you to publish another book.

Dan Goodsell said...

one of these days when Steve and I have time we will work on another book....

Charles Barnard said...

This made my day. Fascinating stuff.

Amid said...

Good stuff, Dan. I think the Mahatma Rice character is an example of Ray Patin's own design work. There's also a mascot he did for Rainier Beer which is his work. Lots of great designers worked at his studio, but his own work was very conventional and rooted in 30s/40s style design.

Anonymous said...

Can't remember how I found my way to your blog but it is A-MA-ZING.

And this stuff is fantastic. Thank you so much! Stuff like this reinforces my sense that commercial design and illustration hasn't been as creative (and just plain *good*) as it was in the 1950s and 60s (or before then, really). Anyhow, thanks. -Andrew

Anonymous said...

My favorite Patin illustration:


You could almost start a religion based on this illustration, it's so good.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic stuff! Man those working illustrations get the memories gushing. I want a time machine so I can go back. So cool!

Harold Katner said...

Ray Patin was my grandfather's first cousin. I have photographs of him as a child along with his mother and a drawing of Donald Duck signed by him (ca. 1930's?). His mother was Therese Durand Patin, sister of my great grand mother. His father founded the Daily Advitizer, a newspaper in Lafayette, Louisiana before they moved to California. One of Therese Durand's brothers, Oscar, had a wife who developed TB. Oscar and his wife moved to Alberquerque for a better climate and eventually convinced Maurice Patin and Therese to mover their. After Oscar's wife died, he moved to California and again convinced his sister and brother-in-law to move out there. That is how Ray Patin ended up in California.
Harold Paul Katner

Anonymous said...







漢美女 said...

(法新社a倫敦二B十WE四日電) 「情色二零零七」情趣產品大產自二十三日起在倫敦的肯辛頓奧林匹亞展覽館舉行,倫敦人擺脫對性的保守態度踴躍參觀成人影片,許多穿皮衣與塑膠緊身衣的好色之徒擠進這項世界規模最大的成人生活展,估計三天展期可吸引八a片下載萬多好奇民眾參觀。