Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Disneyland Redux

For years I have been a collector of Disneyland photos. I am always looking for that perfect snapshot that captures that elusive spirit of Disneyland in the past. Sometimes it can just be a picture of kid on Main Street and other times it is that great shot of the Clock of the World. But most of the time all you get are the Hippos on Jungle Cruise or the Burning Settlers Cabin on the Rivers of America.

One major attraction that has always been tough for me to find pics of was the Motor Boat Cruise. It was open from 1957 to 1993 and I have only a few photos of it. Well this group of 5 photos show why people didn't take photos of it .... it was BORING. You would cruise around and see landscaping, Autopia cars passing overhead and if you were lucky the passing Monorail. This was one of those attractions that the parents would dump the kids at in the late afternoon and go have a cigarette. In 1991, they did try to theme it up by adding the Gummi Bears. This was a case of a little to little and a little to late.

Another type of photo that is high on my list are pictures of the Disneyland souvenirs in the shops at Disneyland. Well this second group of photos is just that but unfortunately they are the worst type of souvenirs. Mickey Mouse & Pooh banks and horrible vinyl 70's Pluto figures. Although it is cool to see them all lined up with their Disneyland price stickers, I would much rather see a line of Matterhorn Banks or TWA Rocket models. But that is why I collect, the hope that the perfect photo will be in that next stack I thumb through.

3 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Motorboat Cruise boring....? BORING?????? How dare you sir....

I have a video I took of the Motorboat Cruise in the early 1990s (just because I knew they'd tear it out one of these days) if you'd like to see it sometime.

Also - I'll have to show you the Randall Duell documentation book I have, the whole thing is mostly interiors of shops & restaurants - good merchandise stuff...

Dan Goodsell said...

I will pass on video of the Motor Boat Cruise but would love to the merchandise photos!

Anonymous said...

Disney has spawned so much ephemera over the years...it's amazing what is out there. Also, thought I'd leave a general comment about how much I like your site. Great posts.