Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Spillikin Corners

I am not sure why Magic Mountain opened Spillikin Corners in 1978. They billed it as the only year long large scale crafts village in Southern California. It was kind of like the Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach but smaller and full time.

But I loved it as a kid and basically ran around the entire park to get there. Once I got there, the only thing I remember doing was making some candles. But I kept those candles for years and never lit them.

1978 Magic Mountain brochure

1978 Magic Mountain map

5 comments:

Eurotrash said...

Yeah, I used to think it really cool that you could make the candles and watch someone use a spinning wheel Little House on The Prarie was real big then so it was like being Half Pint for an hour, that and it was real close to Spin Out and the Gold Rusher which were the greatest rides ever!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for some old "lay of land" pictures of Magic Mountain and came across this post with these pictures! So wonderful. Thanks for sharing them.

RCS said...

Thanks for posting this. I have a tintype photo from Spillikin handcrafters junction at magic mountains treasure of handmade goodies. Hard to find information on it now but the tintype photo still looks great.

Jazzmike said...

This brings back great memories! I supervised the Spillikin food and beverage operations in 1978-79. Enjoyed it all. Definitely the most unusual part of Magic Mountain. So sorry it didn't survive. It was a blessing to be able to work there.

Mike said...

I was a potter in the pottery shop for about a year. One of my favorite early jobs. Great time and great memories. Thanks for sharing this!